03-04-2017 09:59 PM
by Dahawks
For Sale Clown stock
01-12-2017 04:13 PM
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tom Crutchfield calling out Jennie Erin Smith

Has any one else see a post by Tom Crutchfield on his Facebook?

It looks like Tom is wanting the word out on this and does any one else at the BLBC have anything to say? I guess he has read her book and its full of slanderous lies.

From Tom's post.
    Author Jennie Erin Smith has taken complete advantage of my and other herpers kind hospitality by writing a book trashing and demonizing herpetoculture and reptile keepers. I even allowed her to stay in my home and go out in the field with me. So did many others. Jennie Smith reveals herself to be anti-herpetoculture and to be an animal rights activist......

Here is another Quote from Tom.

Read it carefully and see how she freely admits to buying Uromastix that the ancestors of were likely smuggled into Europe yet she says she can't imagine someone wanting something badly enough to participate in the "rotten trade". That is very close to a quote. I guess she, like most A.R. nuts, is a born again hypocrit that believes she should have them but others shouldn't. Knowing her personally and after reading the galley copy where she deliberately hurt innocent people [she took some stuff out that's in the galley copy] I believe she is perhaps the most evil person I've met bordering on being perhaps a psycopath. She is not discriminatory as she trashes everyone in the book including Zoo's. Having lived through the REAL thing the book is filled with only half truths and any factual part is twisted so as to portray the person in the worst possible light. Hank Molt signed an agreement with her for 30% of the profits but also he has no legal rights to seek civil relief. She has tried to give me 20% of the book and sign away my rights because I NEVER GAVE HER PERMISSION TO WRITE ANYTHING ABOUT ME THAT WAS NOT A MATTER OF PUBLIC RECORD. ALSO I CAUGHT HER A COUPLE OF TIMES TAPE RECORDING ME HERE IN FL. EVEN THOUGH IT IS A THIRD DEGREE FELONY TO DO SO WITH SOMEONE'S CONSENT. We'll have to wait and see what happens but I believe several Zoo's will seek civil relief from slander and libel....I will never agree to accept money as that would give her book credibility and I WILL NOT SELL MY SOUL TO THE DEVIL AS HANK DID....

Link to Short interview.

Ads by Google
    Jim Soos
    ----------------
    Remember Corn snakes are like potato chips, you cant just have one.

2. Ads by Google
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    She's just another scum bag trying to make a name for herself.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Havent read it and now I dont think that I will. I did not like her comments in the linked interview.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll be checking it out.
    #SaveCommunity #SixSeasonsAndaMovie

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    if you click on the link and read the interview.
    There is a blurb about the book.

[quote] Stolen World: A Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers, and Skulduggery
    Jennie Erin Smith, Crown, $25 (336p) ISBN 978-0-307-38147-7
    In this very disturbing and very entertaining chronicle of reptile smugglers, the collectors and zoo keepers who trade with them, and the federal agents who try to catch them, the humans are as devious, dangerous, and creepily charming as the cold-blooded creatures they lust after. Science reporter Smith bases her book on extensive original interviews with two smugglers: Henry Molt Jr. is a reptile dealer who, in the 1960s, unable to get a job with a zoo, began a lifelong career of reptile collecting involving restless international travel, partner-stiffing, and jail time, with an undaunted enthusiasm that's survived into his 60s: "The reptile business
    Jim Soos
    ----------------

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    She sure does sound like a US science reporter - full of shit.
    Scott Collien

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tom sent me this about the book as well

Tom Crutchfield November 28 at 12:19pm
    Basically the entire book is written in such a sardonic way that it is a parody and not the real truth if that makes sense to you. The book reminds me of "THE NATIONAL LAMPOON" or "MAD MAGAZINE" rather than just a slanted piece of journalism. It reads like a Carl Hiaason novel so much I kept expecting the character "SKINK" to pop into the book...LOL
    Jim Soos
    ----------------

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here's the link on Amazon for the book (slated for release in Jan. 2011): [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stolen-World-Reptiles-Smugglers-Skulduggery/dp/0307381471/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290970604&sr=8-1"]Stolen World[/ame]

What cracked me up the most was this quote from one of the editorial reviews: "The characters of Henry Molt and Tommy Crutchfield are Indiana Jones wannabes rewritten by Monty Python, as bizarre, dark, funny, and irresistible as any of the nobler yet loonier protagonists of fiction.". Obviously a lot of these ignorant reviewers are going to add more "color" to their review to build themselves up which is akin to sprinkling glitter on a dog turd to make it look pretty.

Basically the entire book is written in such a sardonic way that it is a parody and not the real truth if that makes sense to you.
    Was the book written to be parodical or is this just how Tom Crutchfield is now playing it down? I'm a little bit confused.

Either way, for those that feel this book is just adding fuel to the fire on demonizing our hobby, please write an intelligent review on Amazon giving it an appropriate rating as many customers go by Amazons rating system to help them make decisions on whether to purchase these items or not whether on Amazon or other web sites, I know I do.
    I love the smell of snake musk in the morning, it smells like...victory!

http://rextiles.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    do u guys have often to deal with this type of shit?

i mean whole books thzat demonising the reptile industrie?

im used to negativ media reports in tv and stuff, but a whole book?!

who does she think gives a shit about this outside the community? does she really think normal bob and mandy are interrested in this and pay money for it???
    There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by joe23 View Post
    do u guys have often to deal with this type of shit?
    As far as I'm concerned, all too often.

i mean whole books thzat demonising the reptile industrie?

im used to negativ media reports in tv and stuff, but a whole book?!
    Why should the format of a book be any less of a medium to express a person's views? In fact, what did people use prior to television and radios 60-70 years ago, they relied on the printed page to get their message across whether from books or newspapers. Just as there are a lot of books about the positive aspects of religion, there are just as many about the negative aspects of religion. Why should the topic of reptiles or the reptile industry be any different?

who does she think gives a shit about this outside the community? does she really think normal bob and mandy are interrested in this and pay money for it???
    You might be surprised at how many people choose to believe what they read without questioning it. And yes, I believe there is a market for books such as this as sad as that might seem. There are plenty of people here in the US that are deathly afraid of reptiles as well as those that are against the pet trade in general that love books of this nature as they somehow feel it vindicates their own narrow view of the world and people that don't subscribe to their own way of thinking. Books like this are just another propaganda tool for groups such as the HSUS and PETA to help demonize the trade further in order to pass more stringent laws to suppress the ownership of exotic animals. No, there's a definite market for this type of book.
    I love the smell of snake musk in the morning, it smells like...victory!

http://rextiles.net

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rextiles View Post
    No, there's a definite market for this type of book.
    Agreed, and all the toilet paper companies should buy up all the copies to recycle it into what it should actually be used for...
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day...
    www.squamataconcepts.com
    1-347-898-8728

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rextiles View Post
    No, there's a definite market for this type of book.

thats sad. here people would give a shit about it. they look at it on tv or read the newspaper but i cant imagine that a lot of people would acually spend their money on a book for it.

maybe because we have almost no reptiles in our wildlife- at least no animals that scare people (i mean we have no people that die threw a reptile bite and u wont find one while ure taking a walk etc).

if it really sells, we can just hope that these people dont believe anything and making their own picture of the reptile industrie/ trade.

i think u guys could need someone that would bring a new light on the reptile scene. if brian barczyk gets the tv deal he maybe could change the point of view of people a bit (just like miami and la ink did with the tattoo scene- before tattooed guys were all criminals and junkies- now its far more accepted- at least that was what happend here)
    There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    .......that's too bad about how this went down. It could have been a really good, factual book on the origins of the industry here in the states. Now it just sounds like some animal rights activist/author infiltrated the scene and came away with a book.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I just wanted to get on here and say that I think most of you will ENJOY the book I wrote, Stolen World. It's not some sort of verdict on the herp industry but rather -- for the younger people in the trade anyway -- an interesting history lesson from a time when people really had to go out and get their own animals. Which was not all that long ago, but seems like it. Forty and fifty years ago people had to be incredibly inventive and ruthless to import animals, and took huge personal risks in the process. They weren't always the nicest or most upstanding people, but they were certainly interesting. I wrote the book because those people and their stories are not going to be around forever -- that era is over. And for those who have been around a while the book might bring back some interesting memories. Tom Crutchfield has his own reasons for not liking the book. But to say the book disparages the industry or paints an inaccurate picture is false. The book was an enormous amount of research and careful effort, and I hope many of you read it and enjoy it -- or at least read a few pages before jumping to conclusions. it comes out in three weeks. Best, Jennie Smith

Title
    Command Staff
    Blog Entries
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Might want to take your promotion to Animal Planet where it's appreciated.
    If it doesn't roll when it walks it's not too fat!
    Chief Dietitian, Twin Cities Reptiles
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-C...08900315808444

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    OMG, I didnt realize management allowed AR trolls on this list.
    JS, if you want to atone for your abominable and detestable crimes against the herp industry, go to milwaukee WI and go undercover at MADACC and city and county governments and write an investigative report on corruption at all levels of government and the psychopaths that have taken it over and destroyed Terry Cullens life and animals.

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jennie View Post
    I just wanted to get on here and say that I think most of you will ENJOY the book I wrote, Stolen World. It's not some sort of verdict on the herp industry but rather -- for the younger people in the trade anyway -- an interesting history lesson from a time when people really had to go out and get their own animals. Which was not all that long ago, but seems like it. Forty and fifty years ago people had to be incredibly inventive and ruthless to import animals, and took huge personal risks in the process. They weren't always the nicest or most upstanding people, but they were certainly interesting. I wrote the book because those people and their stories are not going to be around forever -- that era is over. And for those who have been around a while the book might bring back some interesting memories. Tom Crutchfield has his own reasons for not liking the book. But to say the book disparages the industry or paints an inaccurate picture is false. The book was an enormous amount of research and careful effort, and I hope many of you read it and enjoy it -- or at least read a few pages before jumping to conclusions. it comes out in three weeks. Best, Jennie Smith
    I think you are confused.... thoroughly. Take your crap book and shove it missy!
    Now you have a nice day, ya hear.
    Ron Sims

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm not the most liked person on this site, so I better not say what I would like to say to you. But if I ever see a copy of your book, I'm going to pull my pants down, and crap all over it. And I will use a page with your name on it, to wipe my butt. Have a nice day.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Go away . We are not as stupid as you seem to believe we are .

Title
    General of League
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Here's blunt for ya...F@ck off -
    BT

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    Ron Sims

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by boarama View Post
    I'm not the most liked person on this site, so I better not say what I would like to say to you. But if I ever see a copy of your book, I'm going to pull my pants down, and crap all over it. And I will use a page with your name on it, to wipe my butt. Have a nice day.
    No its ok.. you can tell us how you really feel.
    Jim Soos
    ----------------

Title
    Command Staff
    Blog Entries
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by boarama View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!! Snort and all, that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
    No its ok.. you can tell us how you really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by BT View Post
    If it doesn't roll when it walks it's not too fat!
    Chief Dietitian, Twin Cities Reptiles
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Twin-C...08900315808444

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    JS, maybe you would have more success promoting your book by touring the country and getting a vendors table at all of the major reptile shows. Maybe you could even request tables next people you wrote about. ...just sayin'

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sounds like more slanted garbage. Not even interested in reading a few pages.

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
    JS, maybe you would have more success promoting your book by touring the country and getting a vendors table at all of the major reptile shows. Maybe you could even request tables next people you wrote about. ...just sayin'
    Bet she would run away crying after 10 minutes with Crutchfield at the booth next to her!
    Ron Sims

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by norsmis View Post
    Bet she would run away crying after 10 minutes with Crutchfield at the booth next to her!
    You mean the volatile, knife-wielding Tommy Crutchfield

I wonder if he was wearing a pirate hat and eye patch too in this fictional book...
    Scott Collien

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    You mean the volatile, knife-wielding Tommy Crutchfield

I wonder if he was wearing a pirate hat and eye patch too in this fictional book...
    Yeah, that one... I bet he volatile since she wrote all that crap about him!
    Ron Sims

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by norsmis View Post
    Yeah, that one... I bet he volatile since she wrote all that crap about him!
    What are you talking about.. Tom is a Gentleman, i am sure he would welcome her with open arms and offer to buy her a drink later.
    Jim Soos
    ----------------

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I think I need to write my book about you Sput, talk about interesting characters, I'll even include Chandler just to spice it up.

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter_23 View Post
    I think I need to write my book about you Sput, talk about interesting characters, I'll even include Chandler just to spice it up.
    uh, i believe this thread is about fiction... not romance, please stay on topic.

well that was a warm BLBC welcome !
    sounds like your reputation precedes you hotpens... not always a good thing.
    i think the whole butt wiping idea would be good, if it could be pulled off without the book having to be purchased. you sound like a loathsome little troll wench by tom's account, and though i know that he's no boyscout, he has spent enough time in the great outdoors to know one when he sees one. somewhere out there is a rock with your name on it, hopefully you stored the addy in your garmin so you can get back there to crawl back under it.
    just sayin'...
    ck

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricksterpup View Post
    What are you talking about.. Tom is a Gentleman, i am sure he would welcome her with open arms and offer to buy her a drink later.
    Yeah, I bet he would!
    Ron Sims

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thats so ballsy and crude of Jennie Smith to plug in "i'm sure you will enjoy reading my book" B.S. to promote the sale of her book. Especially on a forum such as B.L. What the heck was she thinking.

I deal with enough people who think my hobby is over the top. We all know that this hobby isn't for everyone's personal taste. Especially those who cannot fathom the idea of reptiles or snakes as pets, or we as herpetoculturists and what our hobby entails, be it husbandry and/or basic genetics.

We all understand how the hobby originated, and how it came to be. We do NOT need a self-righteous one sided view from a right wing tree hugger who will do whatever it takes to tarnish the passion and hard work of all of us as herpetoculturists.

Now plug that into your book! That is truth!! I will not entertain such reading. I would rather read my daughter's book "everyone POOPS." There is "Most likely" more FACT in that book than yours.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would rather read my daughter's book "everyone POOPS."

Is it published yet? Sounds like a lot better read than JS's claptrap bs.
    BigT

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bammer838 View Post
    We do NOT need a self-righteous one sided view from a right wing tree hugger who will do whatever it takes to tarnish the passion and hard work of all of us as herpetoculturists.
    uh, bro... that's left wing...
    ck

Title
    Command Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So.... My mother, in her somewhat misguided ways, bought me this book as a gift... I plan on returning it to the seller but a thought occurred to me. I went on to Amazon and note that there is not a single review of the book yet. I figured, this is a great chance for the reptile nation to hit this woman where it hurts. Review the book, give it 1 star. Talk about how it slanders Crutchfield and how it blasts our hobby. DO NOT go overboard to the point where people reading will think we are the whack jobs. Make our message heard that reptile keepers do not like being criticized for out hobby.
    actagggcagtgatatcctagcattgatggtacatggcaaattaacctcatgat

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by asplundii View Post
    So.... My mother, in her somewhat misguided ways, bought me this book as a gift... I plan on returning it to the seller but a thought occurred to me. I went on to Amazon and note that there is not a single review of the book yet. I figured, this is a great chance for the reptile nation to hit this woman where it hurts. Review the book, give it 1 star. Talk about how it slanders Crutchfield and how it blasts our hobby. DO NOT go overboard to the point where people reading will think we are the whack jobs. Make our message heard that reptile keepers do not like being criticized for out hobby.
    Now that is a good idea.
    Lynn Kubic
    I've always been a boa girl at heart.
    Where reptiles are not just a part of our lives, they are our lives.
    www.boasandballs.com

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    i wouldn't expect your mom, or any of our moms to know...
    i do like your idea, can't you give it no stars ?
    don't forget to return it when you're done !
    ck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yeah, I suggested this to Tom on his FB page and sent him a PM to send me a copy of the book (if he has one that he hasn't burned) because I will not pay for one. Perhaps when you're finished with yours you can do a book lending and we can pass it around and return it--with Mom's blessing, of course.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by constrictorkeeper View Post
    uh, bro... that's left wing...
    ck
    Um, I was like, really, really tired........and I was having a blonde moment. You are right its my other right (left).

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bammer838 View Post
    Um, I was like, really, really tired........and I was having a blonde moment. You are right its my other right (left).
    i copy man...
    i may be a southpaw, but i sure ain't no lefty !
    ck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I received an email this morning in regards to this piece of crap who wrote this direspectful, and exaggerated pile of garbage. If anyone out there is in the New York Tortoise Society, or even a herp society in the area, please contact them and let them know how unhappy you are with their guest speaker who will be speaking tomorrow. This women writes a book that is a complete disrespect to the enire reptile community, and now this tortoise club is allowing her to be their guest speaker, sad really. I emailed Tom this morning, and he sent me his reply. I'm not going to post the content of either of those emails, due to the language. It's amazing that these people would let her speak. What, is she some kind of an expert now? WTF. What an insult.
    The email is below.

Author of "Stolen World: a Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers and Skullduggery " will be speaking on Jan 16,11 AM in NYC

On Jan 16 (Sun), at 11 am, Ms. Jennie Erin Smith, Author of ?STOLEN WORLD : A TALE OF REPTILES, SMUGGLERS AND SKULDUGGERY will be speaking to the New York Turtle and Tortoise Society about the unsolved mystery of the stolen plowshare tortoises from Madagascar -- a very interesting, surprising, and complex whodunit, only some of which is told in "Stolen World."

Times - Jan 16 (Sun), at 11 am,
    Place- Arsenal Building in front of Central Park Zoo on 5th Ave. and 64th St., Manhattan. ?
    (Please use Mass Transit if you can).
    Limited amount of books will be available for sale and signing by the author. $25.00

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Unfortunately this is all par for the course for the New York Turtle/Torrtoise Society. I was a long standing member of the NY Herpetological Society (now defunct) until I had to part ways due to it becoming a radical activist organization, rather than a meeting place for herp enthusiasts. The NY Tort Society has picked up their slack as the only game in town. While it sounds hard to believe that these people would work against their own self-interests, many of them are vocal PETA members. Meeting agendas would focus on field trip protests of shoe stores for selling animal skin shoes and instruction on civil disobidience , chaining themselves to doors, throwing paint etc.. It was known that I was a member of the NYPD and I was an outcast as such. They felt uncomfortable plotting in my presence and would often regroup after the official meeting time once I left. Shortly after I parted ways, they collapsed onto themselves as a society. Then again would you expect anything less in the Liberal Capital of the world?
    - Lon D.
    "The forbidden zone was once a paradise, but your breed made a desert of it - ages ago!"- Dr. Zaius - Minister of Ape Science

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwt501 View Post
    Unfortunately this is all par for the course for the New York Turtle/Tortoise Society. I was a long standing member of the NY Herpetological Society (now defunct) until I had to part ways due to it becoming a radical activist organization, rather than a meeting place for herp enthusiasts. The NY Tort Society has picked up their slack as the only game in town. While it sounds hard to believe that these people would work against their own self-interests, many of them are vocal PETA members. Meeting agendas would focus on field trip protests of shoe stores for selling animal skin shoes and instruction on civil disobedience , chaining themselves to doors, throwing paint etc.. It was known that I was a member of the NYPD and I was an outcast as such. They felt uncomfortable plotting in my presence and would often regroup after the official meeting time once I left. Shortly after I parted ways, they collapsed onto themselves as a society. Then again would you expect anything less in the Liberal Capital of the world?
    ... and that is why new york sucks.
    ck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    ... and that is why new york sucks.
    ck
    Yea but they still have the best pizza.
    BigT

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Has tom reported her to the police for the secret tapeing or even pursued legal action for possible slander and defamation??

Title
    Chief of Staff
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtattoo View Post
    Yea but they still have the best pizza.
    100% hands down.
    even the pizza in italy doesn't come close.
    ck

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    100% hands down.
    even the pizza in italy doesn't come close.
    ck
    Thats the only thing thats gonna hurt when I leave this sewer-hole behind in a couple of years. The food. Nothing else.
    - Lon D.
    "The forbidden zone was once a paradise, but your breed made a desert of it - ages ago!"- Dr. Zaius - Minister of Ape Science

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had first hand experience with Joe Switalski and Al Corwitz on the Ethopian Mountain Adder case she speaks about. Complete lies and Slander on those two. Won't support the book, she's a piece of work!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry Jennie I call BULL SHIT!!!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast